With numerous different types of CCTV cameras in the market, there are now a variety of solutions for each industry. As a results of this huge range, it is difficult to settle on which CCTV camera is correct for your business. We’ve summarized main type of CCTV cameras below and benefits of each of them. Use our expert guide to pick a solution that matches your purpose and provides the extent of security you need .
There are 7 most popular varieties of CCTV cameras available:
- Dome CCTV Cameras
- Bullet CCTV Cameras
- C-Mount CCTV Cameras
- PTZ Pan Tilt & Zoom Cameras
- Wireless CCTV Cameras
- Network/IP CCTV Cameras
- High Definition (HD) CCTV Cameras
Dome CCTV Cameras
As the name suggests this is a dome-shaped casing that the camera lens sits into. Whilst these are relatively discreet CCTV cameras in appearance, this doesn’t stop them from deterring criminals. This is because the dome casing makes it really difficult for people to see which direction the camera is pointing.
- Its easy to fit.
- Suitable for indoor use as they are not weather proof CCTV Cameras
- Vandal resistant dome means it is harder to interfere with the camera
This is the best type of CCTV camera for any indoor use like shops, restaurants, casinos and hotels. Many also consider this option to be the best as it can be placed on a strategic point of the ceiling to cover all angles of the room
Bullet CCTV Cameras
Bullet CCTV cameras have an iconic design that is highly visible. They are cylindrical in shape and are capable of observing long distances. Bullet cameras are most commonly placed outdoors so their casings are made resistant to water, dust and dirt.
- Highly visible so acts as a deterrent
- Weather proof, hence they are resistant to wind, sunlight, rain, etc
- Provides surveillance over long distances
- Casing also protects against glare and dust
Bullet cameras can be used to good effect in a range of industries such as manufacturing, property management and farming. Due to their visibility, send out a message to passers-by that your premises is under surveillance.
C-Mount CCTV Cameras
C-Mount CCTV cameras are the ideal option for those who may wish to adapt the field of vision. They are equipped with detachable lenses that can be switched around to monitor varying distances. C-Mount cameras are typically bulky so, like bullet cameras, act as a visible deterrent to criminal activity.
- Special lenses can be fitted to the camera to extend its range beyond 40 feet
- Rugged camera casing can be added to protect the camera in cold environments
- Weatherproof housing makes it ideal for outdoor use
This is the ideal camera for observing a stretch of road on the approach to your premises. It is therefore popular in the utilities and logistics industries. Those operating in the food and manufacturing industries may also elect for this option, due to the camera’s reliability in extreme temperatures.
PTZ Pan Tilt & Zoom Cameras
With a PTZ (Pan Tilt & Zoom) camera, your security team can have complete control on what is recorded. At the touch of a button, the camera lens can pan left and right, tilt up and down or zoom in and out. It’s the ideal choice if you have a security guard who is monitoring a live video feed on site.
- X36 Optical zoom on these cameras means you can focus closely in on subjects
- Pan and tilt feature provides 360 degree field of vision
- 200m IR night vision
- Image resolution is usually impeccable so facial features can be distinguished
- Security team have full control of recording and can react to live situations
This is the best CCTV camera for large retail environments and is regarded as the best CCTV for business premises that have a specific valuable object to protect. For example, a museum or a library could program the camera to pan to a particular entry or exit point when it detects movement. So even when it is not being controlled remotely, the camera can cover a much larger area and do the same job of several static cameras.
Wireless CCTV Cameras
Wireless CCTV cameras were created to minimize installation time. They also make the appearance of the camera much tidier, which may be an important factor for locations such as churches, museums or stately homes.
- Easier to install than your average CCTV system
- Discreet and tidy appearance and a less obtrusive fitting
- Images transmitted over internet so can be viewed anywhere
- Secure storage and easy access of archive footage
If a spotless presentation is important in your industry, wireless CCTV cameras are a great security option. Their discreet appearance helps them to blend into the interior. What’s more, there is less set up and camera maintenance required, and footage is transferred via the internet for convenient access.
Network/IP CCTV Cameras
These cameras are based on IP technology and have much better video quality. They can be of camera type dome, bullet, C Mount, PTZ or Wireless. The bandwidth of the video is compressed, in order to make the online feed reliable. Archive footage is stored on hardisk inside the network video recorders (NVRs) or on cloud software for later access.
- Expensive but low maintenance
- Much better image quality than analog or digital cameras
- Better software to view the footage, etc
A network or IP CCTV camera is the ideal choice for business owners who are often away from site and on the move.
High Definition (HD) CCTV Cameras
HD CCTV cameras offer a better picture quality than analog cameras that delivers high clarity images. They can be of camera type dome, bullet, C Mount and PTZ. Depending on your budget, they can deliver resolutions of 720p, all the way up to 4K. Usually the recordings will not ever appear grainy or distorted in this case.
- High definition pictures capture subjects in perfect clarity
- Extra clarity can also be achieved with zoom function
- Not as expensive as IP camera but provide a goof picture quality.
High definition cameras are particularly useful for use in environments where there is a high risk of theft. Businesses such as banks and casinos should opt for HD cameras, in order to ensure that visitors to their premises are captured in perfect clarity. The footage recorded will be able to provide undeniable identification in the event of a crime being committed.